Locally Owned and Proud to Serve Customers
Just like our customers who are building and renovating their homes, the Fireplace Superstore continues to be a work in progress. We’re continually adapting, changing, and evolving to give our customers the latest solutions.
One measure of our progress is in the products we’re able to bring to our customers, including Heat & Glo gas fireplaces—an example of a product we first offered when Heat & Glo was just starting out. It’s been gratifying to be part of that company’s growth as it has become one of the world’s leading gas fireplace manufacturers.
We feel a great sense of pride in knowing that the success of the Fireplace Superstore is a direct reflection of the satisfaction we strive to give our customers each day. As our Operations Manager Chris Bump says, “We work hard to take care of our customers. So, it makes us feel very proud to know that many of our customers are three-, four- or five-time fireplace customers—those who come back to us multiple times over an extended period of time whenever they build a new home or have a new need.”
Here’s a quick look at where we’ve been (literally):
- We started in 1977 as the Woodburning Stove Shop in the Valley Junction area of West Des Moines. As the name implies, at that time, we focused the business on wood-burning stoves, a product that was very popular at the time.
- In 1982, we moved our headquarters to 63rd Street on the south side of Des Moines, near Willow Creek Golf Course. From 1982 to 1989, we started the fireplace side of our business, including high-efficiency gas-burning fireplaces that were just getting off the ground at that point.
- In 1989, we moved to the Westport Home Center at the corner of Hickman and 104th Street in Urbandale. At that location, our focus turned almost exclusively to fireplaces, with a 50-50 mix between wood- and gas-burning units.
- In 1998, we relocated to our current location at the corner of 109th and Douglas to accommodate our growth. At that time, and at this location, we had enough room to also begin offering a range of outdoor furniture.
- In 2016, we expanded our location, including a new 30,000 square-foot showroom in a new structure adjacent to our existing building. This enhancement will literally give you a better line of sight to all of the products and solutions we have to offer you and your home.
Steve started his career by working in the landscaping and tree-care industry before launching operations at the Woodburning Stove Company in 1977—a store that these many years later has grown to become what we know today as the Fireplace Superstore.
In addition to his ongoing management of the Fireplace Superstore, Chris is a United States Air Force veteran. He also served for a number of years at the Iowa Air Guard unit in Des Moines. He currently serves as a reserve with 509th Security Forces at Whitman Air Force base in Missouri.